Monday, February 17, 2014

MB Marathon {less a race than a journey}

On December 1, 2008, 9 days after losing my dad, I began training for my first half marathon. I was fresh in the throes of grief and knew I needed to set my eyes on a goal... not only to help me cope, but to do something that would honor my dad and his long, courageous fight against leukemia. 

I didn't want to run just any race. I wanted to run the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon. My parents were born and raised in Myrtle Beach... high school sweethearts and Miss Sun Fun and Mr. Seahawk Baseball, respectively. I've spent every summer at the beach since I can remember and claim it as my second home. MB was a big part of my dad and is a big part of me. 

Not only was this race in my parent's hometown but the proceeds benefited the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. And the most divine part of it all... the race was routed to run past the cemetery where my dad is buried. A place where I stood less than three months earlier to say my last goodbyes. I didn't just want to run this race- I needed to. That race was good medicine for me and the beginning of a very long road.

((WIS caught wind of the story in 2009 and aired an interview which you can watch here. You may be prompted to sign into Facebook to view it.))

Fast forward and here I am. After racing 3 half marathons and a dozen other 5ks and 10ks over the last 8 years, I would have NEVER imagined training for a marathon. I never (EVER!) thought I could run a step past 13.1 miles. 

Thanks to a great summer of running and building some base mileage, I went into the fall prepared to race a 4th half marathon. But between crazy schedules and date conflicts with the races I wanted to run, I couldn't make it happen and decided to just continue with my training regardless. Somewhere along the way I caught the marathon bug. I tried to let it go but my BFF, Megan, persistently convinced me that it was attainable. I could do it. Go for it. So that's what I did. 

October 7 was the start of 18 weeks of marathon training. I am grateful to God that I was able to successfully complete all of my long runs and remain healthy, injury free and motivated for the entirety. Ryan, Holley and Megan were an amazing support system- praying for me and encouraging me day after day, week after week. I was ready, both mentally and physically, when I arrived to the starting line of the Myrtle Beach Marathon on February 15, 2014, but I arrived a different woman than the one in 2009.  

Since my dad passed away 5 years ago, I have covered hundreds of miles and journeyed to a place emotionally and spiritually I never thought I would reach. When I look back on these last 5 years, I am astounded by God's wholly sufficient grace. The pain, once palpable, has subsided. The sorrow and despair that were once all-consuming have been replaced with the hope of heaven and the joy of eternity. The Lord has taught me how to trust Him even when I don't understand His plan. I have learned to rely on His steadfast faithfulness and have "treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread." (Job 23:12) 

I miss my dad deeply, right down to my bones- but I count it a privilege to share his story and the legacy he has left behind. A story the Lord has crafted so beautifully for my family to tell. I've said it here before and I'll say it again... Jesus' words about Lazarus in John 11:4 are true for Larry Davis: “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it.”

I ran those 26.2 miles on Saturday with peace in my heart and with confidence that God makes no mistakes. I ran past the cemetery a second time, but this time with praise to the God who has used my dad's death to draw people to Himself and who has been my strength, my song and my portion through it all.

When I got to the end of the race on Saturday and started making my way past the orange corridors to the finish line, a man in the crowd caught my eye. A man who looked just like my dad. So much so that my heart nearly jumped out of my chest and I had to look twice. Tears immediately welled in my eyes and I thanked God for His tender, personal love for me. For all of us. I crossed the finish line with our song, Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately," playing on my iPod Shuffle. He truly makes no mistakes. 

This journey through loss has not been in vain. Though the Lord has taken away, He has given me sight to focus on the MAIN goal of this vapor we have of a life: "to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace." (Acts 20:24)

It's not been me running this race... the Lord has carried me every step of the way. To Him be the glory both now and forever. 
 
My sweet hubby, constant encourager and prayer warrior. So incredibly blessed to call him mine!


Meeting my boo for a kiss and some water at the halfway point!

Finish line in sight!

Almost there...

The best in-laws and cheerleaders a girl could have!!

Crossed the finish line in 4 hours and 51 minutes. My thoughtful husband surprised me with a new Pandora charm for my bracelet when I was done. So, so sweet.


((Acts 20:24))
"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Wow, what a beautifully written story. You had mean in tears. You are such a strong, beautiful, inspiring woman that I am so blessed to call my friend. What an amazing accomplishment. You're dad is so proud of you up there. I love you Shell!!

Shelley said...

Thank you, Mere! I'm equally as blessed to have you in my life. Love you :)