Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Less like Jonah, More like Jesus

photo by my dearest Sally at Heart and Glory Photography

This morning as I was folding the laundry I prayed for the Holy Spirit to open my ears, my eyes, my mind and my heart for whatever the day would hold. I prayed for my people, one by one, as I folded each item of their clothing and thanked God for another day to be wife and mom. 

I've had a hard couple of weeks with Levi. Nothing serious, just normal things that every parent to preschoolers endure. He is an amazing kid- smart, athletic, funny. But at three and a half he has developed his own (strong) will. And as his parents, we've been given the great task of shepherding that will of his towards the will of God. 

In a moment of confession during my prayer/laundry time this morning, the Lord indeed opened my eyes to a weak spot in my parenting. But He also opened my heart to His grace... 

These last couple of weeks I have been simultaneously disciplining Levi for not listening the first time I ask him to do something and also writing a commentary on Jonah for my Old Testament class. It seems obvious that I would make the connection before now, but here's proof that when we invite the Holy Spirit into our problems, He will certainly give us vision to see where we should repent and turn back to God. 

The story of Jonah is one of redemption. Jonah is given an assignment by God to take His Word to the people of Nineveh. Instead of obeying the first time, Jonah flees to Joppa to catch a boat to Tarshish- the exact opposite direction of Nineveh. Aboard this boat to Tarshish, Jonah and the other sailors are caught in a storm. They cast lots and Jonah was thrown into the sea to calm the storm. God provides a big fish to swallow Jonah and there he stays for three days and three nights (a foreshadowing of Christ's burial and resurrection!) praying and contemplating his choices. 

At first glance it seems that being swallowed by a big fish is not the best case scenario for Jonah. But a closer look reveals that God "appointed" this big fish to rescue him. Inside the fish Jonah prays for mercy and deliverance and then the fish ejects him onto dry land. Jonah is given a second chance to deliver God's message to Nineveh and he obeys. 

You see, this obedience problem is not just with three and a half year olds. It was a problem for Jonah and it's a problem for me and you. But the good news is, we have a Savior to rescue us from ourselves. He provides a big fish, second chances, and unending grace. His desire is always for his children to obey the first time, but He knows we are not perfect. Most of the time we are more like Jonah than we are like Jesus and we run the opposite direction of our God-given assignment. 

So as I put away the clothes this morning, I thank God for His Holy Spirit and His Word that is "breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16) I pray the next time I'm tempted to be frustrated over someone else's sin, I will remember the grace and kindness of my Heavenly Father who desires my obedience the first time too.  

The same God who rescued Jonah is the same God who rescues Levi and me. He is our patient and perfect Parent, "a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love." (Jonah 4:2) 

No comments: