Ryan and I
have been watching The Bible miniseries on the History channel for the past four
weeks. The last episode airs on Easter evening where will see Jesus crucified,
buried, and raised to life. (Saving the best part for last, obviously.) In my humble
opinion, the series has been very well produced. Needless to say, it does not
show every detail of the Bible, but the story of the Bible in general is clearly told and has hopefully piqued enough
interest for people to study the sole, infallible Word
of God on their own.
If nothing
else, watching the Bible played out in dramatic fashion has helped paint a
picture of what I’ve read for many years. I have
read the accounts of Jesus’ death and resurrection numerous times, but always seem
to gloss over the part where the Roman soldiers actually come to seize Jesus
and take Him to Pilate.
I understand
the order of events in that Jesus predicts His own death, eats His last meal
with His disciples, prays and waits, is betrayed by Judas’ kiss, and is then
arrested. I have somehow managed to downplay Peter’s act of defense
for His Lord at the time of His arrest. Picture it: they are in the Garden of
Gethsemane and Jesus has already warned Peter that he will deny him three times
before dawn. Jesus is in anguish awaiting His death. The Roman soldiers come to
arrest Jesus on behalf of Pilate and at the sight of Jesus being captured, John
18:10 tells us that Peter, “who had a sword, drew it and
struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear.”
Here’s the
pivotal moment. Jesus rebukes Peter and says, “Put your sword
away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?” (John 18:11) And
immediately, Jesus heals the man’s ear. You know, the one who came to
arrest him? He healed him. Now I don’t know about you, but my first reaction
would not be to heal this man’s ear. This man had come to ultimately
drag Jesus to His death. But Jesus healed him anyway and was then taken to
Pilate. Wow.
I
follow Jon Acuff on Twitter and after watching this scene on The Bible he
tweeted, “You came to arrest the false messiah, who then healed your ear. How
confused are you in that moment if you’re that Roman guard?” Naturally, that
guard was confused. But should acts like this be so shocking to us as
Christians? Jesus was just being Jesus. His default is kindness. He didn’t
contemplate letting the guard suffer or repay his evil for evil.
When
we are wronged, our response should be like Jesus’. Plain and simple- and
always easier said than done. Imagine if someone were to betray you,
gossip about you, intentionally leave you out, make you feel lesser than, or
perhaps come to kidnap you and take you before Pilate to die. What is
your default response? Ashamedly, kindness is often not my initial reaction to being mistreated. But isn’t that what Jesus has called us to do? Turn the other
cheek? Pray for those who persecute us? This poignant act of love and grace on
Jesus’ part in that moment has struck me to my core. While it might have seemed
radical to that guard, should we as Christians have expected any less of Jesus?
As I reflect on the crucifixion and death of Jesus on Good Friday and the
eventual resurrection of our King on Sunday; I pray that we will be filled with all the
fullness of God. We are the ones who wronged Jesus and put Him on that cross. And yet He bore our sin and shame anyway and looks on us as blameless. He came to heal more than our ear... He healed our soul.
I pray that we may know Christ and the power of His
resurrection (Phil. 3:10) so our default response to others will portray the loving kindness of Jesus.
He is Risen. He is Risen Indeed.
Happy Easter :)

No comments:
Post a Comment