Friday, May 10, 2013

For freedom Christ has set us free.

My Bible study group just wrapped up our third study together- this time in Galatians. We spent 12 weeks looking at Paul’s ministry to the churches in Galatia and studying the freedom found in Christ. Paul desperately wanted to break the chains of the [Mosaic] law that were enslaving believers from experiencing true salvation and grace.

Paul, formerly Saul of Tarsus, begins this letter by explaining his calling by God (found in Acts 9). Prior to his conversion on the Damascus road, Paul was zealously persecuting Christians and “advancing in Judaism.” In fact, he was on his way to kill more Christians when he had an encounter with the Lord that immediately changed the trajectory of his life. Saul becomes Paul—an apostle for the Lord Jesus Christ. Immediately converted. Forever changed. Christ’s servant. That’s Paul. 

Because Paul had personally experienced this revelation and new freedom, his goal was to tell the Galatians that Jews and Gentiles alike are all saved and justified by faith—not by keeping the law, by circumcision, or by any other works of the flesh. 

Ultimately the message is this: Our right standing with Christ has nothing to do with our stellar performance, growth, or deeds. There is nothing more liberating than that. Galatians 5:4-5 spells it out pretty clearly: “You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope.

The only thing that defines us as Christ-followers is what He has already done for us on the cross. What does this freedom mean? What are we freed from? Hopelessness. Striving. Death. Separation from Christ. Needing acceptance, affirmation and approval from others.

The main purpose of the law is to reveal our need for a Savior. If we were able to keep the law perfectly and do it all on our own, why would we need a Savior? Christ died for our righteousness and to set us free. Galatians 2:19-21 says it best: “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.  I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Praying we will all walk in this freedom and depend on His grace.

No comments: