Monday, November 28, 2011

Traveling Light

While at the University of South Carolina, I was chosen to be Chaplain of my sorority, Alpha Delta Pi. The role of chaplain allowed you to be the “spiritual leader” of the sorority, give the invocation at each chapter meeting, and serve as the point person for ladies who needed guidance, prayer, or just a listening ear. The most rewarding part of being chaplain was leading a weekly Bible study called Angelic. The Bible study I taught for the first semester was based out of Max Lucado’s book, Traveling Light: Releasing the Burdens We Were Never Intended to Bear.


Traveling Light takes you on a journey through Psalm 23 and encourages you to get rid of your baggage and rest in our Sovereign God. Here are some highlights from the book:

Rest from the burden of a small god. Why? Because I have found the Lord.
Rest from doing things my way. Why? Because the Lord is my shepherd.
Rest from endless wants. Why? Because I shall not want.
Rest from weariness. Why? Because he makes me to lie down.
Rest from worry. Why? Because he leads me.
Rest from hopelessness. Why? Because he restores my soul.
Rest from guilt. Why? Because he leads me in the paths of righteousness.
Rest from arrogance. Why? Because of his name’s sake.
Rest from the valley of death. Why? Because he walks me through it.
Rest from the shadow of grief. Why? Because he guides me.
Rest from fear. Why? Because his presence comforts me.
Rest from loneliness. Why? Because he is with me.
Rest from shame. Why? Because he has prepared a place for me in the presence of my enemies.
Rest from my disappointments. Why? Because he anoints me.
Rest from envy. Why? Because my cup overflows.
Rest from doubt. Why? Because he follows me.
Rest from homesickness. Why? Because I dwell in the house of my Lord forever.


This time of year is hard for me and I'm sure the Lord has called this book to my mind to remind me of His promises. By the Lord’s Providence, I was ministering as chaplain and teaching this book during the year that my parents were living in Houston. The group of girls that came to Angelic (including Holley on several occasions!) and the content that we studied for those two semesters fed my soul in ways I could never express.

Remember to "travel light" this holiday season (and throughout the year for that matter). If this time of year is hard for you too... Take heart! He has overcome the world! There is rest to be found in the God who carries your burdens! (Matthew 11:28)

No comments: