Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day 2012

Holley and I had the best dad in the world. He was the kind of dad who was thrilled to attend all dance and piano recitals, countless cheerleading competitions and pageants... and even Dance Marathon at 1 a.m. at USC just to cheer me on for a few minutes. He yelled loud and proud to support us in all of our activities. He was our #1 fan.

Snorkeling in the Bahamas

Not only was he athletic, enthusiastic and passionate, but he had a strikingly sensitive side too. He was the kind of dad who studied God's Word in front of us and challenged us to memorize Scripture together so we could "hide it in our hearts." He was the kind of dad who shared in our emotions and really felt what we felt-- no matter happy, sad, or angry. He was the kind of dad who wrote notes to put in our lunchboxes and sent us emails to say how proud he was to be our dad. He would dance with me in our living room to Rod Stewart's "Great American Songbook" and on stage with Holley in The Nutcracker.




He was a dad who wanted to spend his Friday nights grilling steaks for us for dinner before settling in to watch Ocean's Eleven or Tombstone for the 98th time. He was the kind of dad that allowed me to talk to him about anything. He knew all of my secrets, hurts, goals and ambitions. He had the best advice... which always included consulting the Lord in prayer. 


He loved my friends and announced at my high school graduation party that it was an honor to be known as "Shelley's Dad." He would wake up early on Saturday mornings to make my friends and me pancakes or go get us Publix subs for lunch. He was the kind of dad who constantly made us laugh and lifted our spirits. Never will I forget driving to the beach for the first time by myself and reading his directions that said, "There will be a fork in the road, but don't stop to pick it up." ;)


He always put us first and never let a single day pass without saying I love you and I'm proud of you. He was taken far too soon, but made a monumental impact on the women Holley and I have become. Today I celebrate Father's Day in remembrance of my amazing Dad who gave me more joy in (almost) 22 years than some daughters experience in a lifetime.

Houston, TX

I am also thankful for a father-in-law who loves us so well and goes the extra mile to serve his family. Ryan is lucky to have Phil as a dad and I'm grateful I am his daughter-in-law!


Psalm 103:13 
As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

What a wonderful post! I just cried like a baby. Praying for you!

Shelley said...

Thank you! :) Happy Father's Day to your hubby.